The Abbey was founded by Cistercian monks in 1142 on a densely wooded site. These monks were called here from the head monastery in Bégard, by Alain Le Noir, the Count of Penthièvre and Richemond. Koad Malouen was their fifth and last sister Abbey. All that remains of the original building is the facade, with its 21 windows restored in the 18th century. Tours every day in the safe areas of the site. In July and August, guided tours on Saturdays at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm.